Saturday, June 18, 2011

Around Town - Blue Bird Bake Shop

Pin It
Rarely do I walk into a retail shop and find myself truly impressed with the entire experience, with every, individual detail.  However, that is exactly how I felt the first time that I found myself at Blue Bird Bake Shop, located at 3122 Corrine Drive, Orlando FL 32803.  Even more extraordinary is the fact that each of my subsequent visits have been equally or even more impressive than the first!


This little shop is located less than a mile from my apartment and yet somehow I managed to live in such close vicinity for about 8 months before I stumbled upon it.  I was driving by and thought it looked "cute", so I decided to stop in.  When I entered the shop, my first feeling was surprise.  Surpise at the decor, surprise at the decidedly small case of baked goods, I actually looked around to make sure it was open.  Sure enough, there were customers sitting, drinking coffee and chatting....it was open.



It was open...and it was CHARMING!  From the decor to the chalk drawn menu boards, everything about this little place screamed "Vintage Chic!"



















Besides homemade cupcakes, brownies & coffee, the Blue Bird Bake Shop also offers a very small selection of vintage gum and mints.  Is there any other place in metro Orlando that sells Violet scented mints?  Probably, but I don't know where it is!


I remember thinking, "I wish I had my camera."  But I didn't have my camera, so I walked up to the counter and took a closer look at the bakery case.  It was late in the day, and they only had two varieties left.  I ordered my PB&J cupcake and was delighted at the careful attention to detail and presentation that was given to my one little cupcake.  And then when I took a bite....WOW!  It was absolutely fantastic!  Perfectly moist, homemade peanut butter cake with light, smooth, creamy peanut butter frosting....with a jelly filled center.



On my short drive home, my internal conversation with myself (yes, I do talk to myself ) centered on the fact that if I had a blog, I would post about this experience.  But alas, I did not have a blog.


Since my first visit to the Blue Bird Bake Shop, I have been back a handful of times and I have enjoyed every visit.  The staff is helpful and courteous, the customers are friendly, and the ambiance makes me yearn for the days of yesteryear, when times were simpler and no one made cake from boxed mixes.


Which brings me to today....I now have a blog, so today, when I stopped in I made sure to bring my camera!  I ordered two cupcakes today (one for today and one for tomorrow.)  My choices today were strawberry and blueberry lemon...and as I bit into the homemade cupcake, with real blueberries in the batter and homemade lemon buttercream icing, topped with a fresh blueberry, I said, "Mmmm....exquisite!"


So if you live in Orlando or if you ever find yourself in town, head on over to Blue Bird Bake Shop.  I HIGHLY recommend it!



Pin It

2 comments:

  1. **UPDATE** When you google "Blue Bird Bake Shop" this post now shows up on page 1! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just tried the Neapolitan cupcake today...it was delicious! I love Blue Bird Bake Shop!

    ReplyDelete